Ian Kehoe on vultures
Ten years on from the bank bailout, we are in the most controversial phase of the great Irish sell-off: mortgages
It is fast approaching the tenth anniversary of the government’s ill-fated decision to guarantee the Irish banks, a move that that socialised bank debt and paved the way for the eventual nationalisation of the sector. The move came from a protectionalist, socialist playbook; in the world according to capitalist dogma, the banks would merely have collapsed, destroyed by their own hyperbole and reckless lending practices.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive