A budget that targets the domestic economy
If you didn’t do at least a little bit better out of Budget 2016, you were in a fairly leaky boat
I think that tax policy in this budget had the domestic economy firmly in its sights. On tourism, we’ll keep the 9 per cent rate at least for now. On transport, a big reduction in motor tax for big vehicles is on offer. On agriculture, farm expansion and succession will be easier in 2016. On retail, the tax excuse for minimum amounts before credit card payments are accepted is gone.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.