Don’t make farmers fall guys for cheap food policy failures
Paying farmers to go green is the only way to halt to halt our slide towards climate catastrophe
Four years ago, I reported live from a dairy farm in Carlow on the morning that milk quotas were lifted. Silver bulk tanks in farmyards all over the country were filled with more milk than farmers had ever seen in their lives. These farmers took out loans investing in new parlours, roadways and cows, as well as land to graze those cows on. One described it as a “wall of milk” coming onto the marketplace. Farmers would earn more. Everyone was happy.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.