Racing to the Arctic in a Mazda
An open-air drive through the tundra would be the undoing of an SUV, but it’s great sport in the feisty little MX-5
I wonder how an autonomous car would have coped, if it could cope at all. The roads that snake up to the North Cape are in astonishingly good condition considering the enormous variance in temperatures that alternately contracts and expands their surface. Perhaps it was the cushioning effect of the thick layer of snow and ice on top of the tarmac, but these were surprisingly smooth roads as we crossed the Arctic Circle and began our trek to the cape.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.