Jason Blum: The film producer breaking convention
'I work for free. If the movie is a success, everyone gets paid. If it doesn’t work, we go back and try again'
You might not know Jason Blum’s name and you probably couldn’t pick his face out of a line-up, but you know the films he makes. Know them and love them. Since earning his first producer credit under his Blumhouse Productions banner with Paranormal Activity in 2009, Blum has steered films such as The Purge, Whiplash and Get Out from concept to cinema screens around the world. His films have launched new careers, restored the reputations of failing ones, and destigmatised low-budget horrors and thrillers for a new wave of audiences. He has also amassed more than $3 billion at the box office in little more than a decade. So, what’s his secret?
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive