Ewan MacKenna: Whether David Moyes turns things around or not, Manchester United remain a licence to print money
If you've never come across the story of John Spano, it's worth a quick revisiting.
If you've never come across the story of John Spano, it's worth a quick revisiting. Back in 1996, the Texan businessman briefly acquired the New York Islanders NHL ice hockey team, after a purchase of $165 million was signed off on before the money was paid up, and despite the fact that Spano was really worth just a few hundred thousand.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.