Varadkar orders overhaul of ‘adversarial’ state medical negligence claims system
The existing claims environment is widely regarded as too lengthy, too confrontational and too expensive
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has instructed the attorney general, the Minister for Justice and the Minister for Health to initiate a review of the adversarial system for medical negligence claims, in the aftermath of the Vicky Phelan cancer case.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive