We need a sheriff on the online frontier
Internet freedom is wonderful, but transparency is needed online
Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, let the cat out of the bag when she spoke in Dublin last week. “If you look at the history of technology . . . what you see is these early phases where everyone is excited about what changes, and then some real phases of alarm,” she said. “And now . . . we are in that follow-up period of reflection and warning where new rules are going to be written and boundaries are going to be set.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.