It was said that video refs would ruin football, but the technology has defied the critics with a sterling performance at the World Cup
The video assistant referee (VAR) has managed to get through over a week of action in Russia without any of the concerns around it being justified. Games being overly delayed, referees not being adequately trained in the system, and the potential for greater mistakes were all loudly predicted as the panic of its rollout gathered steam in the run-up to the 2018 World Cup.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive