Was Yes vote proof of a liberal Ireland?
John Gordon Swift MacNeill was a prominent Irish nationalist in late 19th century Ireland. As a Professor of Law at the King’s Inns, he taught many well-known political reformers who were early proponents of Home Rule. Swift MacNeill was convinced that the majority of the public had bought into the idea of Home Rule and that it was merely a question of politicians catching up with public opinion.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.