Plan to hold referendum on diaspora voting rights in 2019
Minister later wants to extend Dáil and Seanad voting rights to 3.6m Irish citizens living abroad
Anyone with a valid Irish passport will be entitled to vote in future presidential elections if a referendum is passed in 18 months’ time, the diaspora minister Ciaran Cannon has signalled.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive