Limited progress made on the inheritance front
The increase in the tax-free threshold on gifts from parents to children is underwhelming
In a well-telegraphed move, the Minister for Finance has announced an increase of €55,000 in the tax-free threshold which applies to gifts from a parent to each of their children. The threshold now stands at €280,000, and applies in respect of gifts or inheritances received on or after October 14, 2015. In monetary terms, this increase in the tax-free threshold equates to a tax saving of €18,150.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive