'Lies, damned lies, and statistics - official fake news is creating bad decisions'
The problem will continue until officials are held accountable, writes Michael Brennan
Every day, politicians and officials are making decisions based on statistics. If road deaths are increasing in a particular location, then Garda Commissioner Noirín O’Sullivan has said that it will become a target for greater speed checks and garda enforcement.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.