Pat Rabbitte: The re-energising of the left/right divide
Smaller government, lower taxes and free markets are leaving millions of people insecure and substantial numbers in poverty
This democracy business can be messy and unpredictable. Less than a year ago, the decision of the people of Britain to leave the European Union was a political earthquake. It was followed by a truly remarkable outcome of the US presidential election that almost nobody forecast and that many greeted with disbelief and apprehension.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive