Martin McGuinness’s past offered SF opportunity for renewal
McGuinness’s presidential bid helped to purge the poison of its history from the Sinn Féin of today
‘No terrorist in the Aras” was the caution from Phil Hogan, then a Fine Gael minister, when Martin McGuinness announced his controversial presidential bid in 2011. “Putting Mr McGuinness in charge of the state would make us look like a banana republic,” he said, adding that a Sinn Féin presidency would lead to a huge withdrawal of foreign direct investment within 24 months.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive