To infinity and beyond: why the cabinet needs to downsize
This ever-expanding cabinet would come as a surprise to the drafters of the Constitution
Albert Einstein once observed: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” Were he still around, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist could add the Irish government to his list of phenomena apparently capable of limitless expansion. The current Irish administration is now bulging with so many ministers, super junior ministers and ministers of state that it may soon be necessary to move cabinet meetings to Croke Park, or another venue big enough to accommodate them.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive