Tom McGurk: Hostility to Irish exposes true nature of unionism
The shadow of the tally-stick hangs over the DUP’s attitude to an Irish Language Act. This is a serious crisis
Might I suggest that the officer class in the DUP take a little time out this summer and settle down and read John Montague’s long poem The Rough Field. It’s a rich and compelling evocation of Ulster and a celebration of Montague’s home place in Garvaghey, Co Tyrone. Importantly, it investigates all the themes of the nationalist experience in the post-partition years in the North, political, familial and cultural. It’s a place the DUP seemingly keeps getting lost in.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive