Challenging issues of media ownership
Company law may be more relevant than media law in determining what happened at Independent News & Media
Even before Eamon de Valera decided in 1931 to found his own newspaper using American bonds and money, politicians obsessed about the press. Few political leaders in the modern era – Silvio Berlusconi aside – could afford to establish their own media enterprise to promote their political agenda. However, politicians have understood that media is the oxygen that allows them to contest the democratic space.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive