When banks and the state feed Irish citizens to the vultures
Selling loans to hedge funds and private equity giants is merely a way for the state to outsource repossessions
In September 2016, I travelled to the shadows of the Catskills mountains, deep in upstate New York, to meet Juan and Maritza Ovsak. There was a white wooden swing outside the front door of their house, and a small vegetable patch outside the back. Inside, it was furnished with pictures of their three girls. The house was bursting with ornaments.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.