Assange ultimately a deeply ambiguous hero for our times
Like him or loathe him, deporting Julian Assange to the US would threaten both our free press and liberal democracy
Since WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange sought asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London in 2012, he has cut a rather ridiculous figure: the refugee in Knighstbridge, with his celebrity friends sending hampers from Harrods, and his squabbles with the embassy about cleaning up after his cat.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.