Turning a vote to repeal the Eighth Amendment into a vote to endorse the 12-week on-demand regime could be an unforced political error
The Constitution is our supreme law. It cannot deal with very complex issues without extensive interpretation.
As someone who believes strongly that the Eighth Amendment should now be repealed and that the issues of abortion should be one to be dealt with by laws enacted by the Oireachtas as it considers right and just, I hesitate to become involved in any heated or bitter debate or campaigning because I know well how intense the emotional feelings are on either side of the argument.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.