How personal stories have changed politics
The marriage equality referendum was a master exercise in the strategy of public therapy
‘The personal is political” was a feminist rallying cry of the 1970s. Feminist writer Carol Hanisch popularised the term when her essay of the same name appeared in the anthology Notes From the Second Year: Women’s Liberation. The slogan centres on the theory that personal problems are political problems. This deliberate intersection of public life and the private domain was a method of consciousness-raising to generate discussion about issues women were suffering in silence.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive