Arrival of Francis marks a sort of homecoming for Knock airport
It was precisely because of the last papal visit that the airport ever came into being
Joe Gilmore was a 15-year-old selling mass booklets when Pope John Paul II visited Knock 39 years ago. “I was actually up all through the night before because the crowds started arriving 36 and even 48 hours before the Pope, and I was selling booklets all that time. I just remember being very tired,” he recalled.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive