Wistful Winton looks back at the Australia of his spiritual youth
Essays: The Boy Behind The Curtain, By Tim Winton, Picador, €23
The novelist Tim Winton grew up in the province of Western Australia, an arid expanse of outback which holds 32 per cent of Australia’s overall landmass but just 11 per cent of its population. No surprise that his books strongly radiate the ominous silences, suffocating emptiness and expansive space of his native country. So too does The Boy Behind The Curtain, a new collection of personal essays written over the past decade which technically doesn't constitute an autobiography, but isn't far off.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.