Slow down to speed things up?
Variable speed limits could significantly reduce traffic congestion - but only if they’re done right
Anyone that uses the M50 motorway in Dublin regularly will have noticed the increase in congestion over the past three years - and not just around the traditional ‘rush hour’ periods in the morning and evening – resulting in a lot more of us getting stuck in traffic. Not for the first time, variable speed limits are being discussed. Variable speed limits have been mooted in the past, but it appears that legislation changes are necessary to allow the gardaí enforce the lower speed limits when in place. And the signs are that those alterations to the law are coming in 2019.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.