William Trevor: A final farewell to the master of the short story
Kevin Power reviews Last Stories, which includes six unseen short stories from a master of the art
Speaking to an interviewer recently, a prominent Irish novelist lamented the decline of William Trevor’s reputation. “Even informed people don’t know his best books,” he said. “Books like Mrs. Eckdorf at O’Neill’s Hotel, or The Boarding House. Those books are forgotten now. If people know Trevor’s work, they know The Ballroom of Romance – and that’s because of the TV adaptation.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive