Debut novel with a lot of Skin in the game
FICTION: Skintown, By Ciaran McMenamin, Doubleday Ireland, €17
Reflecting on his own first novel, Nightspawn (1971), John Banville once remarked: “The novel, as a form, is remarkably intolerant of youth and inexperience.” Debut novelists, therefore, are often obliged to get by on energy and enthusiasm. The Enniskillen-born actor Ciaran McMenamin has both of these qualities in spades. His debut novel, Skintown, is held together by the sort of anger and passion that only a first novelist can muster. It makes for a rocky but entertaining ride.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.