Appetite For Distraction
Love Island can be a cesspool of bodyshaming and hate, or it can hit Mamma Mia levels of heartwarming. I’ll be watching
Why on earth would a fat person want to go on Love Island? This was my first and only instinct when this year’s reality-show starting cast was revealed last week. Immediately the cries of “where’s the body diversity” rang out as one tanned, toned, washboard-stomached twentysomething after another smiled into the camera and searched for the three words they’d use to describe themselves. The smart yet hot girl, the class clown, multiple gym rats – they were all there. But was there a fat body? No. Was there even a “chubby” body? No, and I’m not surprised.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.