An inner struggle against the most insidious voice of all
non-fiction: The Time In Between: A Memoir of Hunger and Hope. By Nancy Tucker. Icon Books, €17.25. Reviewed by Fiona Ness.
Perfect. That’s what Nancy Tucker wants to be. Being perfect means pleasing people. Being perfect means being super bright. If she’s perfect, her father will engage with her, her teachers will applaud her, her mother will focus all her attention on her, her classmates will befriend her. And if she can’t be perfect, she wants to be small.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.