Michael Murray: In stock markets, it can be easier to make money by betting on losers, not winners. But shorting can be a perilous practicea
To some socialist thinkers, shorting stock - ie, betting on and profiting from a company's future distress - is disgusting and immoral.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.