Michael Murray: For half a century our national airline was a basket case. But Aer Lingus now looks to be edging closer to real stock market success
Can you ever remember a time when Aer Lingus was firing on all cylinders?
Can you ever remember a time when Aer Lingus was firing on all cylinders? No – because since it was founded 78 years ago it never was. In the run-up to – and since – its flotation in 2006 the company made real progress. Resembling a dentist pulling out awkwardly embedded wisdom teeth, slowly but surely Aer Lingus management has edged the business and those who work in it closer to being run on a fully commercial basis.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.