The big correction: What just happened?
The scale and speed of the slump has unnerved many. Is it simply a huge correction, or something more sinister?
In the space of just a couple of hours late last Monday afternoon, an incredible $1.25 trillion (€1 trillion) was wiped from the value of US stock markets. The sea of red has since spread to trading screens all around the world. Nowhere has been spared. Stocks and the equally important bond market have tanked everywhere. The scale and speed of the slump has left many gasping to understand what is happening and, more importantly, why.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.