The secret start-up: The final curtain
To be successful in life is to do something you truly love, and somehow get away with it
I began this tale almost four months ago with the idea to write about what it was like to be laid off after founding and running a company for 12 years. The initial article had such a positive response that I thought it might be a good idea to try to give the full account of my time. To make that interesting beyond a regular business story, I wanted to write about what it was like emotionally to go through it all. I wanted to get across the personal struggle that came with the ups and downs. I wanted to write about the hubris, greed and ego that comes when trying to build a company.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.