Osborne borrowing from Irish budgets
It was the case that what happened in Britain would happen here – but not now
For several years, the British budget day and the Cheltenham Festival have tended to fall around the same time. Tax folklore has it that this is by design. It’s almost as if the optimism, risk-taking and punditry of the race meeting are intended to be an antidote to the considered reality of the budget. Certainly the atmosphere was as noisy in Westminster on Wednesday last as it was in the grandstand the week before.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive