Reality show: Las Vegas tech event matters again
Tech giants are pouring money into consumer gadgets such as augmented reality (AR) glasses
The last time CES - the Consumer Electronics Show which opens in Las Vegas on Tuesday - mattered to the masses may have been as far back as 2001, when Bill Gates appeared at the consumer electronics show to promote Microsoft's first Xbox. A year later, the first entry in the Xbox Halo franchise would become the fastest-selling console game released to that point. It probably would have done just fine without CES, but the trade show was considered a key stop on its road to commercial success.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive