What 2019’s ‘AI Spring’ has to offer your business
Róisín Kiberd on how the new blossoms of artificial intelligence are here to brighten your day
How many AI winters have you lived through? The term refers to the period of time after a ‘hype cycle’, the pattern of interest, investment and subsequent funding cuts to research into artificial intelligence. Hype cycles are common in the tech industry — the dotcom bubble of the 1990s serves as one example — but AI has a particularly volatile history, beginning in the 1960s with the failure of machine translation, then experiments by Darpa in the 1970s, followed by severe cutbacks to research throughout the 1980s and 1990s.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.