What the Higgins presidency is really for
The President is taking a stand against the tide of market ideology
In last week’s Sunday Business Post, Elaine Byrne argued that two former Presidents, Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese, could be identified with particular themes such as “broadening the office of the President” and “building bridges” respectively. While acknowledging the undoubted popularity of President Michael D Higgins, she finds it more difficult to interpret the key theme or themes he espouses. This is a pity and is hard to understand.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.