The problem with our ‘lovely girls’ contest
If the Rose of Tralee truly is a ‘celebration of Irish women’, then it should afford women a voice, not just a tiara
Leo Varadkar’s partner is a junior doctor. Matt Barrett is invariably described as ambitious, competent and motivated. The Taoiseach has described Matt’s intellect as “intimidating” and is gushing in his admiration: “He is very, very intelligent. He can read faster than me. He can do calculations faster than me. He is very bright. He is a Gaeilgeoir as well.”
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive