Investigate the banks, but also the bankers
A regulatory system that fined individual bankers and not just the banks might actually change behaviour.
The chair of the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council, John McHale, made his remarks at the Irish Economy Conference on Wednesday. The Professor of Economics at NUI Galway said the banking inquiry was a “timely and useful reminder” of the forgotten lessons from the 2008 economic crisis.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive