Why the diaspora shouldn’t get a vote
The idea of allowing Irish abroad to vote in elections is a nice break from reality, but not one we should embrace
The Taoiseach’s big St Patrick’s week announcement was that a referendum will be held to allow the Irish abroad to vote in presidential elections. If his new friend Donald Trump has his way, many of the illegal Irish in the US will be able to avail of this right anyway by virtue of being deported back here.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive