Can we afford the fair deal
The government’s Fair Deal nursing home scheme is in crisis again, and experts increasingly believe it is unsustainable
Once again the health service is trying to grapple with thousands of elderly patients who are languishing on waiting lists to access nursing homes. Some are stuck at home; others are living with their families and hundreds are in hospital beds.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive