The West has done its damage in Syria. Now is the time for atonement
As Aleppo perishes, the West carries on propping up dangerous feudal autocracies and unleashing forces far worse than Assad
As the siege of Aleppo enters its final stages, and the reins of power in Washington are transferred to Trump, it is very likely that the Syrian conflict will result in Bashar al-Assad remaining president of the Syrian state under some negotiated ‘peace’ deal at some point in the future. Western opinion has not been adequately prepared for this outcome and wishful thinkers in the corridors of the Nato allies are only now waking up to the realities of their own foolishness.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive