Driving change: Dubliners back plans to restrict cars but business concerns persist

Dublin City Council’s plans to curtail car use in the capital have been broadly backed but further talks are planned to smooth remaining business concerns

It is hoped that by 2028, car journeys as a share of city centre traffic would decline from 29 per cent to 17 per cent Picture: Bryan Meade

Billy Hann, the head of Dublin Bus, is one of many residents of the capital firmly of the view that plans to restrict car use in the city can only be a positive.

According to Dublin City Council, 82 per cent of respondents in a public consultation were in favour of the strategy. As for the other 18 per cent, Hann has a message.

“Some Irish people don't like change, but Dublin's future demands ambition,” ...