Health warning: Time to make vaccinations mandatory?
New data obtained by The Sunday Business Post shows a huge variation in vaccination rates across the country
In 2017, Dr Ruairi Hanley publicly proposed a new policy in response to reports of declining vaccination rates in Ireland. Hanley, a high-profile GP, took to the national airwaves and suggested that parents who refused to immunise their children should have their child benefit payments cut by 50 per cent. He pointed out that a similar initiative known as “no jab, no pay” was introduced in Australia in 2016, and said it had produced a clear increase in vaccination rates.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.