The killing by a robot of a suspected criminal highlights the unevenness of technology upgrades
New lethal technology is dangerous - and so are old neglected systems, writes Jane Ruffino
Just over a week ago, police in Dallas used a robot to kill a suspect who had fatally shot five police officers and wounded seven other people. Robotic devices have been in use for decades, especially for defusing bombs. However, this is the first time that a robot has been deployed, in a domestic environment, with the intent to kill a specific human.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.