It’s still hard to grasp the cult of social media celebrity
‘Ironic’ communities have always been breeding grounds and recruiting platforms for sincere extremism
Whenever I try to understand the phenomenon of amateur YouTube celebrities, I hear my words in my dad’s voice, describing punk rock music. “Listen to that melody,” he’d say, “and really catchy, too”. He was too old and boring to understand that the naive earnestness was more important than whether you could hum it in the shower.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.