Jane Ruffino: Bricks-and-mortar giants like Walmart are entering business online
So it’s a good time to count the cost of free trials and low prices from ‘start-ups’
Last week, Walmart bought online retailer jet.com for $3.3 billion. Jet was established in 2013 by the founder of retailer quidsi.com. Quidsi was bought by Amazon after Amazon undercut Quidsi’s prices too much for the start-up to compete. A couple of Quidsi’s founders started Jet to compete with Amazon on prices.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.