Fake news is big business - and may have handed Trump the election
Fake news doesn’t just spread among the gullible
In May, a website called Winning Democrats published an article claiming that the island of Inishturk would accept American refugees if Donald Trump won the US presidential election. During the election, an online outlet claimed Pope Francis had endorsed Donald Trump, and another reported Hillary Clinton’s impending indictment over her use of a private email server.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive