Alexa, bias, and the trouble with how we think about voices
Are the voices we assign to digital assistants reinforcing stereotypes?
A study by Unesco has, somewhat unsurprisingly, found that having female voices on digital assistants like Alexa and Siri reinforces gender stereotypes. The effort to make the relationship with these devices more human has, naturally, led to influencing how we think about other humans.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events.
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Michael Brennan, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider.
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive.