Scentsations of winter
Winter need not mean a bleak garden, given the variety of seasonal shrubs available
You’d be forgiven for thinking nothing happens in the garden in winter, but this is not the case. Many shrubs wait until winter to show off their flowers against bare stems, taking us by surprise with a relative onslaught of colour and scent. Others hide their flowers among evergreen foliage, leaving you wondering where that scent is coming from. Scent is particularly valuable in the winter garden so consider planting scented shrubs along paths and by doorways to give an unexpected lift on a cold, dull day. Here are ten shrubs with scented flowers that come into their own as temperatures drop.
Independent journalism every day
With digital access you can read The Business Post whenever, wherever, and however you want.
- Unlimited access to all sections of The Business Post on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Breaking news, comment and analysis from the best Business Post writers seven days a week.
- Live blogs of major news events
- Videos and podcasts from some of the industry's most respected journalists such as Tom Lyons, Susan Mitchell and Ian Guider
- Access to The Business Post's extensive archive